Written by Lisa Alexander
- Beer (or most liquors): For washable fabrics, pre-soak in cold water, then wash in natural soapy water like castile soap.
- Blood: For a little spot, you can actually spot treat with your own spit. For bigger stains, rinse with cold water, then soak in a solution of 3 Tb of ammonia to 1 gal of cool water for an hour. Then wash as normal.
- Candle wax: Let the wax cool and remove with a dull knife. Place a paper towel on either side of the stain and press with a warm iron. Wash away any color stains with natural castile soap and baking soda in hot water.
- Chewing gum: Apply ice until the gum hardens and then scrape the gum off with a knife. Next, soak the stain in a mixture of water and liquid detergent.
- Chocolate: Soak the stain in a mixture of 4 Tb of borax and 2 1/2 cups of warm water.
- Coffee or tea: Stretch the fabric over a bowl. Pour boiling water (use your coffee maker or hot pot) through the stain from a height of about 3 ft.
- Lipstick: Rub with white vinegar and rinse.
- Sweat: Soak the stain in salt water for an hour. Next, rub a half and half solution of white vinegar and water on the stain. Rinse well and wash.
- Tomato sauce: Soak in cool water for about half an hour. Apply a salt and let set then rinse, then apply clear vinegar and rinse.
- Wine: For white and red wines, soak the area with sparkling water as soon as you can. Pour salt over the stain and then stretch it over a bowl. From a height of about a foot, pour boiling water through the stain.